Wednesday, December 5, 2007

VIETNAM HIGHLIGHTS...wild cyclo ride on the streets of Ho Chi Minh City


Vietnam was quite an adventure in so many ways. I never thought I would ever visit Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) when I watched all the news reports of the Vietnam War decades ago.

It is definitely a country of contrasts...poverty, decay, tin shacks and just around the corner - beautiful highrise apartments and skyscrapers. Annie Dieselberg and I decided to take a cyclo tour of the city one morning. A cyclo is a small seat that is pushed/pedaled by a driver on a bicycle. Believe me, we got a least a years worth of lung pollution from all the motorcyles by the time we were finished!

The women's Christmas party that I spoke at was absolutely beautiful. It was located in one of the better hotels in the city. The women went all out decorating the room with all the special touches of Christmas. I was so amazed to look out over the gathering realizing that many of the guests had never been to an event like this and most imporatnatly never heard the true Christmas Story. Even the waiters hugged the walls of the room not wanting to miss a single word that was spoken or sung. As one of them said later, "We've never had something like this in our hotel. I have never heard about Jesus or his story."

I will probably never be allowed back into Vietnam! I decided that I would not only share the Christmas Story that day but as I was closing my message decided to offer a prayer of acceptance...an opportunity to really know the reason for Christmas, Jesus Christ. I did not know that there was someone from the government recording every word I said. I was glad I didn't know this when I was speaking because I might have held back a bit. I am sure that I am no longer welcome in Vietnam. But, I do not regret a single word I shared. This may have been the only chance some of these people will ever have to hear the TRUTH.

Pray with me that those who were touched by God that day will be protected, nutured and somehow find Christian community in this very oppressed nation. Those of us living in the Unted States are so very fortuntate that we have all of our freedoms - especially the freedom to CELEBRATE THE REASON FOR THE SEASON! SUSAN